Boasting a badass lineup featuring former Guns n’ Roses and Velvet Revolver drummer Matt Sorum, Linkin Park vocalist Chester Bennington, Robin Zander of Cheap Trick, Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top, Billy Idol guitarist Steve Stevens, The Cult guitarist Billy Duffy and bassist Robert DeLeo of Stone Temple Pilots, Kings of Chaos wrapped up a successful mini East Coast tour last week.
The star-studded conglomerate made a pit stop at NYC’s Irving Plaza on December 21st for what would turn out to be one of the most enjoyable gigs I had the chance of attending this year. There’s always something special about a group featuring so much pivotal talent within rock n’ roll, but it’s the setlist that makes Kings of Chaos a truly memorable experience.
Vocalist Chester Bennington kicked the two-hour rock n’ roll celebration into high gear with Stone Temple Pilots‘ “Vasoline.” The burst of energy was immediate. Having seen Bennington perform with STP last year, I was not surprised but just like the riled up crowd behind me, I couldn’t help mouthing the lyrics as I worked to capture the energy of the performance. Bennington lead the charge through Billy Idol‘s “White Wedding” and The Cult‘s “Fire Woman,” which was my personal highlight of the night. The jolt of adrenaline lingered as Robin Zander emerged to a rousing cheer to perform Cheap Trick‘s “Hello There,” “Surrender” and “I Want You to Want Me.” ZZ Top‘s Billy Gibbons followed with three covers of his own – “Waitin’ For The Bus,” “Sharp Dressed Man” and “Tush.” The band slowed it down with a chilling acoustic set and a riveting guitar solo by Steve Stevens. The night wrapped up appropriately with a killer cover of Led Zeppelin‘s “Whole Lotta Love.”
Paying homage to some of rock’s greatest names, Kings of Chaos definitely delivers a different kind of show. And it’s something that they do incredibly well. Fans don’t have to be intimately familiar with every song on the setlist to enjoy the show. It’s a feel good kind of night, and at its most basic – fun.
Kings of Chaos is a whole lot of fun.
Check out some of my shots from the NYC show:
01. Vasoline (Stone Temple Pilots cover)
02. White Wedding (Billy Idol cover)
03. Fire Woman (The Cult cover)
04. Hello There (Cheap Trick cover)
05. Surrender (Cheap Trick cover)
06. I Want You to Want Me (Cheap Trick cover)
07. Waitin’ for the Bus (ZZ Top cover)
08. Sharp Dressed Man (ZZ Top cover)
09. Tush (ZZ Top cover)
10. The Flame (Cheap Trick cover/acoustic)
11. Steve Stevens guitar solo
12. Edie (Ciao Baby) (The Cult cover/acoustic)
13. Interstate Love Song (Stone Temple Pilots cover/acoustic)
14. Jesus Just Left Chicago (ZZ Top cover/acoustic)
15. Ace of Spades (Motörhead cover)
16. Sex Type Thing (Stone Temple Pilots cover)
17. Love Removal Machine (The Cult cover)
18. Rebel Yell (Billy Idol cover)
19. Dream Police (Cheap Trick cover)
20. La Grange (ZZ Top cover)
21. Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers (ZZ Top cover)
22. Going Down (Freddie King cover w/ Franky Perez)
23. Whole Lotta Love (Led Zeppelin cover)